Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nuts for Nuts?

[Mystery Eater here]

Have you given up on your local Vons because of low-quality produce, or sparse selection of exotic spices and other goods? On a recent trip to the local Vons, however, something delightful and innovative awaited...


Nut Station?
Nut Butter Central?
Squirrels' Paradise?

Whatever its official name (which wasn't discernible from the kiosk), this particular Vons had various fresh nuts (almonds, cashews, peanuts, honey roasted peanuts, etc), and several stations where you could create your own nut butter! Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter... mmm. Visions of various nut butters with sliced bread, fruits (apples, strawberries), and vegetables (carrots, celery) began to dance in my head...


Like a squirrel scurrying around to collect a fresh bounty of nuts, I was eager to see what these "nut stations" entailed. Simple-- fresh nuts were put in the canister, and with a pull of a lever, it would churn the nuts into fresh butter! Empty plastic boxes with matching lids are at your disposal, and your can "churn" as much butter as you'd like!


Pictured above is the organic peanut butter and and chocolate chips at 4.99/lb. It looks slightly unappealing (like numero dos, to put it nicely). However, the flavor is good-- a nice balance of smooth chocolate chips and chunky peanut butter. Another interesting (but more expensive one) was the cashew butter at 8.99/lb.


For the lazy, there are pre-packaged butters-- not as fun, and not for those lacking in willpower. I could see myself, plopped in front of the television, eating away until peanut butter seeped out from my pores.


Anyway, perhaps your local Vons will surprise you, with its updated decor and nut butter creation station. Let me know if you find any other interesting kiosks at your local supermarket-- fresh herb station? make-your-own smoothie bar? You may be surprised to find what your local supermarket holds... and please, share your findings!

Vons
2495 Truxton Road
San Diego, CA 92106
619-758-1725

8 comments:

jwu said...

Sorry, but coming out of the machine, it kind of looks like poop.

Jewels said...

Oh my god, that whole thing looks SOO awesome. I hope one comes to my store soon!

PaniniKathy said...

Wow, I hope the North County Vons start rolling these out!

Anonymous said...

i'm afraid i agree with jwu on this.. i can't look at that picture without thinking it looks like #2 haha

Mystery Eater said...

Jwu & anonymous: I agree, it may appear like number two, but tastes mmm! also, if you don't get the chocolate chips & peanut butter mix, then it'll be less poop-like in appearance.

Jewels: I hope it comes to your store soon too! I wonder if this is something new they are trying out...

Paninikathy: Be sure to let me know if your North County Vons starts rolling it out! :)

Jennywenny said...

cool! I had noticed that they had a lot of choices of nuts, but to be honest I was so annoyed that they didnt have the most basic of baking supplies that I rarely visit, not to mention that its really hard to find anything in there and that those rock church people steal all the parking spaces!

Roger. said...

no way.... this is Vons?! Hope the one near my place remodels soon...

Sharon said...

Wow, this looks nothing like my Vons! Oh, and yes, that PB definitely doesn't look too savory!