Monday, October 22, 2007

Quick trip to good ol' Texas

My brother and I recently visited my father in Texas. On the way back from the Schlitterbahn Waterpark on Galveston Island we stopped by for dinner at a popular Bar-B-Q Smokehouse on the side of the freeway. Mikesha's BBQ. I don't know if Mike owns this joint, or Mikesha owns it, or its southern twang that I'll never understand. But one thing I do know is that this BBQ stop is seriously in the middle of nowhere. (let's take a spin around the parking lot to give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about!)

Facing away from the restaurant

To the right of the restaurant. And Ohhhh to the left to the left. (of the restaurant)

So this place really is in the middle of nowhere, but the restaurant itself was decently busy. The restaurant has a big hunting/wilderness feel to it. Everything's in brown wood and you have stuffed animals and animal heads all over the place.
The interesting thing about this restaurant is that unless you order a plate meal you order everything by the pound. Everything has been smoked already and is sitting in a big giant cooler/steamer to keep it warm. When you make your order they toss it out of the giant container (notice the small metal sheet on the far right of the picture) onto a piece of wood and slice awayThe workers here have amazing knife skills. They just dice away at insanely high speeds. After they show off their knife skills, the meat is placed on the machine and weighed. And presto chango, you have your meal.

After ordering your meat you go down a short ways to your left and all the appetizers/sides are laid out. You've got corn, Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, corn, cole slaw, potato salad, mac salad and the list goes on and on. In case your wondering why the Pineapple Coconut, Creame Cheese Cinnamon, and Cream Cheese look like rice, mac and cheese and other assorted sides is because the signs are actually for the pound cake they have above the appetizers. Don't worry, I also gave it a good stare trying to figure out what was going on.

So we ended up with a pound of brisket, a pound of baby back ribs, a pound of sausages, and small sides of coleslaw, corn, and potato salad.
The interesting thing about this place is the use of plastic for everything. Plastic plates for your food, Styrofoam cups for your sides, plastic knives/forks/spoons.. you name it everything is plastic. Its great that this far down in Texas conserving for the environment hasn't become all the rage yet.

To go along with your meal is an island with Sweet onions, pickles, and sweet tea.




The onions are delicious, most raw onions have that kind of bitter sharp taste, but these are just amazing. As well the pickles aren't super tart and just a little bit sweet. And the sweet tea... oh.. I had 3 cups of it, the perfect amount of simple syrup in it. Not as sweet as the Chick Fil A tea, just perfect!

The brisket was good, not great.
Might have been a little dry for my taste. It had a great smoky flavor but I just like my beef a little bit undercooked.

The sausages were peppery and meaty.

Pretty good stuff, but since i'm not a huge fan of bbq'd links i dont have much to say.

The real bread and butter here were the baby back ribs
It made me want to sing "I want my baby back I want my baby back I want my MIKESKA'ssss baby back ribs. " Look at its great pink smoke rings on the ribs. Really meaty strong pork ribs. And what makes it better is the amazing BBQ sauce that they have. I tried to buy a jar of it but they don't sell it =( . The sauce is a nice sweet bbq with great hickory flavor. Combined with the savory ribs that this place offered.. wow I was just dunking my food in the sauce.

So if you find yourself on the 79 freeway in Texas stop by Mikeska's!
300 Business Highway 79 (Downtown)
Taylor, Texas 76574


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://mikeska.com/familyTraditionContent.html

Anonymous said...

The brisket looks like char sui, haha.

yermej said...

If you're ever near/in Houston, check out Goode Company (You might give some serious thought to thanking your lucky stars you're in Texas), the original -- on Kirby near Rice U. Get the chopped brisket sandwich on their jalapeƱo cheese bread. Beautiful.